Re: postgres import

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Tomi NA" <hefest(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Albe Laurenz" <all(at)adv(dot)magwien(dot)gv(dot)at>, "Antonios Katsikadamos *EXTERN*" <antonioskatsikadamos(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres import
Date: 2006-11-01 04:23:59
Lists: pgsql-general

"Tomi NA" <hefest(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> 2006/10/31, Albe Laurenz <all(at)adv(dot)magwien(dot)gv(dot)at>:
>> psql -h host -p port -d database -U user <dump.sql

> It's a good enough solution in most cases, but when the rowcount
> starts to skyrocket, it simply doesn't seem to cut it (at least I
> couldn't make it to).

It certainly should work. We've seen some platforms where libreadline
seems to be unable to tell the difference between input from a terminal
and input from a file, and performs a boatload of processing that would
be useful for interactive input but is just overhead here. If that's
your problem, try this form instead:

psql -h host -p port -d database -U user -f dump.sql