Re: frogmouth failures

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: frogmouth failures
Date: 2017-04-27 20:30:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> I've been trying to track down the cause of recent failures at the "make
> check" stage on frogmouth, a 32-bit Windows/Mingw instance running on XP.

I've been wondering about that too.

> Then I tried running (offline mode) the serial schedule instead of the
> parallel schedule, and it went through with no error. So then I tried
> setting MAX_CONNECTIONS=10 and that also worked - see
> <https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=frogmouth&dt=2017-04-27%2018%3A10%3A08>
> I've reverted that setting, but if errors start to occur again we'll
> have some slight notion of where to look.

Judging by the recent history,
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_history.pl?nm=frogmouth&br=HEAD
it's not 100% reproducible. (Either that, or we un-broke it and re-broke
it within the last week, which seems improbable.) So unless you made
quite a few successful runs with the lower MAX_CONNECTIONS setting,
I'm dubious that there's really a connection.

Having said that, I won't be a bit surprised if it is some sort of
parallelism effect. I just don't think one test proves much.