Re: Surfacing qualifiers

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Surfacing qualifiers
Date: 2008-03-26 21:26:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 14:38 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> I'm still waiting to see an example of where you say this patch is even
> marginally useful.

It's not hard to think of one:

SELECT * FROM remote_table() WHERE x = 5;

Applying the predicate on the remote database (pushing the predicate
below the function scan) is an elementary optimization, and in many
cases would be enormously more efficient than materializing the entire
remote table at the local site and then applying the qual there.

Certainly I agree with Tom that proper SQL/MED support requires
significant support from both the executor and the optimizer. This is
just a quick hack to take advantage of the existing predicate pushdown
logic -- I just thought it was a cute trick, not something I'd suggest
we include in mainline sources.

-Neil