Re: Postgresql partitioning

From: Reece Hart <reece(at)harts(dot)net>
To: Ram Ravichandran <ramkaka(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Erik Jones <erik(at)myemma(dot)com>, pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql partitioning
Date: 2008-03-22 13:39:32
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 23:00 -0400, Ram Ravichandran wrote:
> I assume that primary key
> uniqueness is not tested across tables. Right?

That's correct. It's on the TODOs:
Inheritance
* Allow inherited tables to inherit indexes, UNIQUE constraints,
and primary/foreign keys
(at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.TODO.html )

I wonder whether you might be able to achieve the benefits of
partitioning and the simplicity of a single-table updates by using a
view with an update rule. This would allow you to embed the logic for
moving rows between partitions when the partition criterion changes into
the database. I've not done this myself, so I'm, um, not speaking from
experience.

-Reece

--
Reece Hart, http://harts.net/reece/, GPG:0x25EC91A0