Re: Endless recovery

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Hans-Juergen Schoenig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Endless recovery
Date: 2008-02-11 11:09:42
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 10:44 +0100, Hans-Juergen Schoenig wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2008, at 10:26 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> > Wait, are you saying that the time was spent in the rm_cleanup
> > phase? That sounds unbelievable. Surely the time was spent in the
> > redo phase, no?

> redo was done fast ...

> the DB version is 8.1.11. The entire DB is 116gb. It is more or less a
> table along with a 65 GB Gist index.

rmgrs might need to issue their own warnings, but the main recovery
system doesn't.

Slightly OT, but reading this I definitely want to split resource
managers into "essential" and "non-essential" groups, so we can come up
when essential operations are complete. I want the non-essential rmgrs
to be cancellable, plus give them the opportunity to rebuild corrupt
data structures without interfering with other aspects of the DB.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com