Re: pg_dump additional options for performance

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump additional options for performance
Date: 2008-02-06 15:56:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 16:41 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Where would you load primary keys and such contrants? Pre- or post dump? I
> think the case could be made for either one...

Post dump. If the constraint was successfully in place when we performed
the dump then it should work successfully after the load.

I like your syntax/idea as well. I think that would be worth doing in
addition for when you want fine grained control. (I'd add the ability to
dump any named object, allowing you to dump individual indexes,
functions, etc..)

I don't think the two syntaxes compete. I want to be able to say
"everything before", "data" and "everything after" without having to
remember to specify --what=tables,views,sequences,kitchensink etc.
Especially since you probably won't notice you've missed out an object
type (e.g. sequences) until you try to run an application. Too late!

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com