Re: FW: bitemporal functionality for PostgreSQL

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Luke Porter <luke_porter(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FW: bitemporal functionality for PostgreSQL
Date: 2008-02-01 18:09:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 15:42 +0000, Luke Porter wrote:
> All
>
> Is there an interest in developing bitemporal functionality in
> PostgreSQL

I am very interested in this topic, and I maintain the pgsql-temporal
project at:

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/temporal/

It's missing good docs and a few other things that I'd like, but it
provides a good time interval type, including lots of useful operators,
and GiST index support functions.

For instance, you can do queries like:

SELECT att1 FROM mytable WHERE during @> '2001-05-11
01:01:01'::timestamptz;

which is a simple way to get all records where "during" contains the
point in time '2001-05-11 01:01:01'. It's also indexable with GiST,
meaning that query will perform well in a variety of situations.

I'm going to spend some time getting the docs up to speed so people can
actually use it.

Regards,
Jeff Davis