Re: Tuning Postgresql on Windows XP Pro 32 bit

From: Doug Knight <dknight(at)wsi(dot)com>
To: munir(dot)usama(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tuning Postgresql on Windows XP Pro 32 bit
Date: 2008-01-15 14:09:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

We tried reducing the memory footprint of the postgres processes, via
shared_buffers (from 30000 on Linux to 3000 on Windows), max_fsm_pages
(from 2000250 on Linux to 100000 on Windows), max_fsm_relations (from
20000 on Linux to 5000 on Windows), and max_connections (from 222 on
Linux to 100 on Windows). Another variable we played with was
effective_cache_size (174000 on Linux, 43700 on Windows). None of these
reduced memory usage, or improved performance, significantly. We still
see the high page fault rate too. Other things we tried were reducing
the number of WAL buffers, and changing the wal_sync_method to
opendata_sync, all with minimal effect. I've attached the latest version
of our Windows postgresql.conf file.

Doug

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 19:49 +0500, Usama Dar wrote:

> Doug Knight wrote:
> > We are running the binary distribution, version 8.2.5-1, installed on
> > Windows XP Pro 32 bit with SP2. We typically run postgres on linux,
> > but have a need to run it under windows as well. Our typical admin
> > tuning for postgresql.conf doesn't seem to be as applicable for windows.
>

> So what have you tuned so far? what are your current postgresql settings
> that you have modified? What are your system specs for Hardware, RAM ,
> CPU etc?

Attachment Content-Type Size
postgresql.conf text/plain 13.5 KB