Re: Postgresql Materialized views

From: Jean-Michel Pouré <jm(at)poure(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql Materialized views
Date: 2008-01-13 11:18:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> In fairness to Jean-Michel, he has spent hundreds of hours in the past
> doing just that and far more for the pgAdmin users in the community -
> I'm sure we can excuse him for asking for what many do think would be
> a useful feature in the hopes that someone listening might just decide
> to pick it up.
>
> In the meantime though - have you tried rolling your own materialised
> views with some triggers Jean-Michel? I have good results doing that
> in the past.

Dear friends,

For of all, thanks for picking up my message and replying.

I agree with Dave Page and others that it is hard to find contributors
for a Free project. When writing 2% of pgAdmin2 code, I noticed that you
could count 10.000 end-users for ONE developper.

This is why I usually offer a bounty for any kind of feature.

Two months ago, my last bounty for a Kdenlive feature (100€), but no-one
aggreed to receive the money after developing the feature, probably
because there were dozens of contibutors (people writing code on top of
someone else code).

But the power of PostgreSQL is to be a real community, like Xorg or
Apache. This makes all the difference. This was the heart of my message.

This being said, our behind the scene needs are:
* We are a non-profit organisation based in France, providing
real-estate listing services.
* We are going to spend 2000€ buying two servers (Phantom 4-die + 8GB 2U
servers), running on Debian: one for PostgreSQL, the other for Apache2.
* We plan to launch the first virtual real-estate agency managed by a
free community.
* We are going to use a mixture of PhpBB 3.0, Drupal and a custom
applications.
* We plan to handle thousands of simultaneous users.

So ...

Based on my current logs, I know that I may have to buy and run a web
farm. Which I do not want, because it implies extra hosting costs.

AND

I know that ONE PostgreSQL database can handle 1000 simultaneous
queries, when using server-side code.

I wrote a small PostgreSQL query optimization HOWTO :
http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29292
Pardon me if some information is not accurate.

I tried my best to educate PhpBB developers choosing the right technology.
PostgreSQL... Now, I am going to write the requested server-side code for PhpBB 3.0
Then I will benchmark queries on our large server.

In the end I hope that someone will be willing to pick-up this
MATERIALIZED VIEW issue, so that any applications running
on PostgreSQL can benefit from "lightning speed".

If someone is willing to receive a bounty, please contact me.

Being a non-profit organisation, I can ask money to contributors on our web site.
This will not be any kind of large sum of money, something between 100€ and 500€.

Kind regards and happy new year.
Jean-Michel Pouré