Re: Index Skip Scan

From: Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: Alexander Kuzmenkov <a(dot)kuzmenkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, pg(at)bowt(dot)ie, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, bhushan(dot)uparkar(at)gmail(dot)com, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Index Skip Scan
Date: 2018-09-13 15:39:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Alexander.

On 9/13/18 9:01 AM, Alexander Kuzmenkov wrote:
> While testing this patch

Thanks for the review !

> I noticed that current implementation doesn't
> perform well when we have lots of small groups of equal values. Here is
> the execution time of index skip scan vs unique over index scan, in ms,
> depending on the size of group. The benchmark script is attached.
>
> group size    skip        unique
> 1             2,293.85    132.55
> 5             464.40      106.59
> 10            239.61      102.02
> 50            56.59       98.74
> 100           32.56       103.04
> 500           6.08        97.09

Yes, this doesn't look good. Using your test case I'm seeing that unique
is being chosen when the group size is below 34, and skip above. This is
with the standard initdb configuration; did you change something else ?
Or did you force the default plan ?

> So, the current implementation can lead to performance regression, and
> the choice of the plan depends on the notoriously unreliable ndistinct
> statistics.

Yes, Peter mentioned this, which I'm still looking at.

> The regression is probably because skip scan always does
> _bt_search to find the next unique tuple.

Very likely.

> I think we can improve this,
> and the skip scan can be strictly faster than index scan regardless of
> the data. As a first approximation, imagine that we somehow skipped
> equal tuples inside _bt_next instead of sending them to the parent
> Unique node. This would already be marginally faster than Unique + Index
> scan. A more practical implementation would be to remember our position
> in tree (that is, BTStack returned by _bt_search) and use it to skip
> pages in bulk. This looks straightforward to implement for a tree that
> does not change, but I'm not sure how to make it work with concurrent
> modifications. Still, this looks a worthwhile direction to me, because
> if we have a strictly faster skip scan, we can just use it always and
> not worry about our unreliable statistics. What do you think?

This is something to look at -- maybe there is a way to use
btpo_next/btpo_prev instead/too in order to speed things up. Atm we just
have the scan key in BTScanOpaqueData. I'll take a look after my
upcoming vacation; feel free to contribute those changes in the meantime
of course.

Thanks again !

Best regards,
Jesper