Re: corruption since 7.4.13 update ?

From: Franz(dot)Rasper(at)izb(dot)de
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: corruption since 7.4.13 update ?
Date: 2006-10-18 12:56:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Just for your information.

Our problem was caused by a bad firmware of one of the harddisk in the
mirror.

"An HP ProLiant server configured with any of the Ultra320 hard drives
listed in Table 1 may experience an unsuccessful write operation when
transferring data to the hard drive during periods of extreme disk intensive
I/O operations. This event occurs only under rare conditions and ALL of the
following criteria must be met in order for this event to occur:
Disk intensive I/O operations are occurring that generate a queue of 112
commands on the affected disk drive.
The 113th command queued on the drive is a write command that requires 256
blocks (or more) of data to be written to the drive.

Note: While the depth of the command queue and the number of commands in the
queue are critera for the occurrence of this event, obtaining this
information is not necessary in order to determine affected hard drives.
Affected hard drives are listed in Table 1 below and are identified when the
HDDETECT Utility is run."
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&
taskId=110&prodSeriesId=397634&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=397634&objectID
=PSD_EX050119_CW01

regards,

-Franz