AW: AW: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'Mikheev, Vadim'" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>, "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: AW: AW: Plans for solving the VACUUM problem
Date: 2001-05-22 09:27:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Todo:
>
> 1. Compact log files after checkpoint (save records of uncommitted
> transactions and remove/archive others).

On the grounds that undo is not guaranteed anyway (concurrent heap access),
why not simply forget it, since above sounds rather expensive ?
The downside would only be, that long running txn's cannot [easily] rollback
to savepoint.

> 2. Abort long running transactions.

This is imho "the" big downside of UNDO, and should not simply be put on
the TODO without thorow research. I think it would be better to forget UNDO for long
running transactions before aborting them.

Andreas