AW: pg_index.indislossy

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'Bruce Momjian'" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: AW: pg_index.indislossy
Date: 2001-05-15 12:34:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > Can someone tell me what we use indislossy for?

Ok, so the interpretation of this field is:
A match in the index needs to be reevaluated in the heap tuple data,
since a match in the index does not necessarily mean, that the heap tuple
matches.
If the heap tuple data matches, the index must always match.

A very typical example for such an index is a hash index. This might explain the
fact, that the ODBC driver misinterpreted that field as meaning that the index is a hash.
The field has nothing to do with partial index.

Andreas