AW: CommitDelay performance improvement

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: AW: CommitDelay performance improvement
Date: 2001-02-27 09:56:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > I agree that 30k looks like the magic delay, and probably 30/5 would be a
> > good conservative choice. But now I think about the choice of number, I
> > think it must vary with the speed of the machine and length of the
> > transactions; at 20tps, each TX is completing in around 50ms.

I think disk speed should probably be the main factor.
After the first run 30k/5 also seemed the best here, but running the test
again shows, that the results are only reproducible after a new initdb.
Anybody else see reproducible results without previous initdb ?

One thing I noticed is, that WAL_FILES needs to be at least 4, because
one run fills up to 3 logfiles, and we don't want to measure WAL formating.

Andreas