copy database by copying datafiles ?

From: Alex Vinogradovs <AVinogradovs(at)Clearpathnet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: copy database by copying datafiles ?
Date: 2007-12-24 21:51:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Guys,

I've created a copy of my database to run on a different server
by copying entire data directory while database instance was stopped.
Database generally works on the target machine, but I'm getting
following error when trying to create a plpgsql function :

ERROR: could not open relation 1664/0/1214: No such file or directory
SQL state: 58P01

I've checked, all the datafiles were coppied correctly. I'm not familiar
with storage internals, maybe there are some ties to inode numbers,
and thus such procedures aren't allowed at all ?

P.S. datafiles are 85GB in size, I couldn't really dump and restore...

Thank you!

Best regards,
Alex Vinogradovs