Re: pgsql: Update item description: * Considerhaving the background writer

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <momjian(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Update item description: * Considerhaving the background writer
Date: 2007-12-17 23:24:16
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 22:46 +0000, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> I actually do feel it might be valuable. All our opinions are based on
> gut-feeling, though, so would need benchmarking to see if it's really
> worth it or not.
>
> I think we could get away without accessing system catalogs in bgwriter,
> if we flagged heap pages as such in ReadBuffer. Just a thought..

Well, if you or Bruce or anybody else thinks it should be on the TODO
then a case should be made for it. I have no doubt you could write it,
but the point is why would you? Or why would you want somebody else to
if you're not going to?

Everybody that spoke on the original thread was against it and I
specifically mentioned it to kill the idea. Its just plain weird that
multiple people have given arguments as to why its a bad idea and yet it
goes straight onto the TODO. LOL.

If that criteria is used to add stuff to the TODO then it would be
bursting with crappy ideas...

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com