Re: WORM and Read Only Tables (v0.1)

From: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WORM and Read Only Tables (v0.1)
Date: 2007-12-11 12:44:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 11:12 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> Features
> - Read Only Tables
> - Compressed Tablespaces

I wonder if instead of read-only tables wouldn't it be better to have
some kind of automatic partitioning which permits to have different
chunks of the table data in different tablespaces, and a freeze command
which effectively moves the data from the (normally small) active chunk
to the archive chunk when it's transaction id is older than a predefined
threshold ?

Then put the active chunk on a high performance file system and the
archive tablespace on a compressed/slow/cheap file system and you're
done. Allow even the archive chunk to be updateable, and put new tuple
data in the active chunk. It would work just fine for cases where the
old data is rarely updated/deleted...

Another advantage I guess would be that active data would more likely
stay in cache, as updated records would stay together and not spread
over the inactive.

Cheers,
Csaba.