postgresql startup

From: Charles <post(at)upyours(dot)us>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgresql startup
Date: 2007-12-08 18:01:37
Lists: pgsql-general

I am using Ubuntu 7.10. When trying to use Postgresql 8.2 I get the
following errors:

root(at)DagonUX32:~# su -c postgres
bash: postgres: command not found
root(at)DagonUX32:~# createuser -s -P dagon
Enter password for new role:
Enter it again:
createuser: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL: role "root"
does not exist

I have done a complete removal of postgresql, then resinstalled. I still
get the same error. Is there a configuration file somewhere that needs
to be removed? (I did make sure that /etc/postgresql was deleted.

All the help I can get will be appreciated!

Thanks.

Charles