Re: pg_dump is broken for partition tablespaces

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: pg_dump is broken for partition tablespaces
Date: 2019-04-14 14:16:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> I'd say the fact that we populate reltablespace with 0 is a bug as
> it's not going to do what they want after a dump/restore.

Well, it's not really nice perhaps, but you cannot just put in some
other concrete tablespace OID instead. What a zero there means is
"use the database's default tablespace", and the point of it is that
it still means that after the DB has been cloned with a different
default tablespace. If we don't store 0 then we break
"CREATE DATABASE ... TABLESPACE = foo".

You could imagine using some special tablespace OID that has these
semantics (*not* pg_default, but some new row in pg_tablespace).
I'm not sure that that'd provide any functional improvement over
using zero, but we could certainly entertain such a change if
partitioned tables seem to need it.