Session handshaking: 'Incomplete startup packets' message

From: Lou Picciano <loupicciano(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Session handshaking: 'Incomplete startup packets' message
Date: 2011-05-16 17:56:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

PG friends,

For a small handful of our clients, we see an 'Incomplete startup packets' message in our logs, just at the beginning of a connection session. It appears to do no damage to the session, which otherwise continues to do its work without error.

We're trying to dig deeper on this but, so far, it seems to be coming only from Windows clients - and perhaps even only from Vista clients. Had originally thought it was being caused by load-balancing or other specific hardware less common at most of our client sites, but I think we've ruled that out. We continue to research it.

Meanwhile: anyone else seeing this, or could shed some light on its origin?

Lou