Re: [HACKERS] Connection Pools and DISCARD ALL

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Connection Pools and DISCARD ALL
Date: 2007-11-09 08:22:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 21:50 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
> > > Could we maybe have some flavor of ROLLBACK that doesn't issue a warning
> > > if no transaction is in progress? There is precedent for this sort of
> > > facility - DROP ... IF EXISTS.
> >
> > Something that would actually be doable for 8.3 would be to downgrade
> > this particular WARNING to a NOTICE. A DBA who hasn't got
> > log_min_messages set higher than NOTICE hasn't really got a lot of room
> > to whine about bulky logs.
>
> I have developed the attached patch to implement this. I assume we want
> to change ABORT outside a transaction from WARNING to NOTICE, but not
> COMMIT.

Patch looks fine to me.

I've been trying to track down the code in the PHP interface that issues
it and see if we can make a version specific change. The code I'm
looking at now has already got that change, so I'm trying to understand
whether or not it works correctly.

But either way, I think the change is appropriate.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com