Re: Proposal TODO Item: SQL-language reference parameters by name

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Gevik Babakhani <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal TODO Item: SQL-language reference parameters by name
Date: 2007-10-31 12:48:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ühel kenal päeval, T, 2007-10-30 kell 09:35, kirjutas David Fetter:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 02:31:52PM +0100, Gevik Babakhani wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am working a lot with custom procedures/functions which are
> > implemented in "language sql". At the moment function parameter refs
> > cannot work with parameter names. I would like to try to implement
> > this. The actual TODO item is:
> >
> > Allow SQL-language functions to reference parameters by parameter
> > name
>
> I'm thinking we should make named parameters available to all the PLs,
> if possible, as re-implementing named parameters for each one seems
> like a lot of wasted effort.

They are "available" you just have to make use of that availability in
your PL handler

> How much infrastructure and/or re-jiggering of existing PLs would be
> required?

The patch that added this (among other things) to PL/python is
referenced from
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2006-04/msg00319.php

Hannu