Re: Proposal: real procedures again (8.4)

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <Josh(dot)Berkus(at)sun(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: real procedures again (8.4)
Date: 2007-10-27 20:22:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ühel kenal päeval, L, 2007-10-27 kell 13:43, kirjutas Gregory Stark:
> "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>
> > Later:
> > * procedure can manages transactions,
>
> Personally this is the only actual feature on the list that seems to have any
> point to me.

Same here.

And I'd like it to have support for other PL's beside SQL and PL/PGSQL.

> * procedure can be overloaded,

How is this different from function overloading ?

> * procedure can not returns recordset or multi recordset,

Why ?

> * procedure doesn't support default parameters,

Currently we support kind-of "default parameters" at the end of arg list
by defining a function with only non-default params, which calls the
longer funtion with default params filled in.

Hannu