Re: Feature Freeze date for 8.4

From: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
To: Rafael Martinez <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature Freeze date for 8.4
Date: 2007-10-23 09:14:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 11:00 +0200, Rafael Martinez wrote:
> We are always 1 year back the main release. We are testing and planing
> the move to 8.2 now, and it won't happen until desember. In a 6 month
> cycle we will have to jump over every second release.

We here are also just in the process of upgrading to 8.2, so in
principle I agree... except nobody is forced to go through ALL versions
- skipping over every second release is perfectly OK... but: shorter
releases would allow people to install only releases which actually
bring performance/functionality improvements they really need. All other
releases can be skipped... in fact you could possibly go for installing
a specific release only on some of the DBs based on what you need there.

The main question is if shorter release will impact quality - from a
user point of view (and I can only give my opinion in this respect) I
don't see any other possible disadvantage...

Cheers,
Csaba.