Re: Am I overseen ?

From: Lothar Behrens <lothar(dot)behrens(at)lollisoft(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Am I overseen ?
Date: 2007-10-18 18:22:06
Lists: pgsql-general

On 18 Okt., 19:33, br(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)zijn-digital(dot)com (brian) wrote:
> Lothar Behrens wrote:
> > On 18 Okt., 18:22, scott(dot)marl(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)gmail(dot)com ("Scott Marlowe") wrote:
>
> >>Normally when you get thundering silence, you've asked a question no
> >>one feels real qualified to answer, and rather than answer it halfway,
> >>they just leave it for the next guy to get.
>
> > In my opinion the question was clear. How to alter table if the column
> > not already
> > inserted of later of given type.
>
> I think Scott meant that if a question--clear or not--is not something
> one feels one is qualified to answer, then one generally does not.
>
> In my opinion, though, the question was not clear.

Hmm, ok.

> > I know about the systables of postgresql as each other database system
> > has - propably :-)
> > But I'm not that familar with it.
>
> > I need a sample how that is done in plain SQL (i pass the script via
> > ODBC to the database).
>
> I don't feel at all qualified to answer this. Sorry.

I will ask differently. Is there a tool that keeps track to syncronize
database models
supporting postgresql (natively) ?

Laurent gave me a hint to http://db.apache.org/ddlutils/ but it is
only
to convert database model to XML representation and vica versa.
What I could read, it does not syncronize. Thus I would propably not
able to look into it for how it works.

I think I'll study the system tables for postgreSQL and do it anyhow.

Thanks, Lothar