Re: Getting to 8.3 beta1

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting to 8.3 beta1
Date: 2007-09-28 21:00:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > AFAICS the correct test would be
> > if (InArchiveRecovery)
> > since needNewTimeLine can only be true iff InArchiveRecovery is true.
>
> > It's often a good idea to disable archive_mode when doing a recovery to
> > avoid trying to send files to the same archive as the primary, which
> > would then also fail. So requiring XLogArchivingActive() also may not be
> > desirable.
>
> Well, that I think is exactly the core of the issue: the "input" archive
> area might or might not be the same as the "output" one. If they're
> different then this isn't a critical problem; but we have no good way
> to know that.
>
> But your simplification may be a good idea anyway --- the fewer
> behaviors to think about, the better.

Amen to that.

> Anyway, if you can test this tomorrow that'll be great. I have enough
> other things to do today ...

Looks good to me. I was and am still nervous of weird knock-on effects,
but I think its the right patch to apply.

There's a whole wedge of new functionality there, so beta should be fun.

We need to reword the doc section about time travel, but I'll let you
tackle that bit, at least for now.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com