Re: wholly / partially table read into shared buffer

From: michal(dot)zaborowski(at)gmail(dot)com
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: wholly / partially table read into shared buffer
Date: 2007-09-28 11:37:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 24 Wrz, 23:59, si(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com (Simon Riggs) wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 19:07 +0400, wrote:
> > I am newbie in Postgres, but previously worked with Oracle. Now I am
> > puzzled with heap_blks_hit/heap_blks_read ratio. I make select from
> > table (whose size is larger than shared_buffer) and saw that it was
> > wholly read from disk after second, third and so on runs. Isn't is
> > wrong that RDBMS tries to cache table data blocks at least PARTIALLY
> > in the case of insufficient cache buffer?
>
> It does cache partially, but its always the wrong part of the table.

Let's say - you have very big table. Even if you are querying data
with index -
table read will be done... If your queries are quite randomly hitting
table pages -
you *will* see that effect. You can think about partitions - idea
looks good -
you can save some IO bandwidth paying with processor time. Partitions
can
help if you do seq-scans, but... with index scans and heap_blks_hit -
does not.
Instead you can prepare 'index cluster' a specially when there are not
too many
writes...

--
Regards,