Re: WAL to RAW devices ?

From: Alex Vinogradovs <AVinogradovs(at)Clearpathnet(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WAL to RAW devices ?
Date: 2007-08-31 23:49:36
Lists: pgsql-general

WAL segments already have their structure. Filesystem would be an
overhead, plus I meantioned access to the same storage from
multiple hosts - no filesystem mounting, synchronization and
other problems.

I figured PG folks aren't interested in adding enterprise-level storage
functionality (movable tablespaces, raw devices for tablespaces, etc),
thus I foresee the model described as the only way to achieve somewhat
decent performance in a stressed environment.