Re: Forcing a 32 bit build on a 64 bit system

From: Doug Knight <dknight(at)wsi(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Forcing a 32 bit build on a 64 bit system
Date: 2007-08-31 15:42:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

OK. I ran configure as:

setarch i386 ./configure

In the config.log both build and host now say i686-pc-linux-gnu.
However, under "checking for C compiler version" I see "Target:
x86_64-redhat-linux". Should I be concerned about this wrt building a
pure 32 bit postgreSQL? Also, later in the log, there are references to
Perl archlibexp and embedded Perl referencing the /usr/lib64 location.
Should I be concerned about using the 64 bit perl libs? My goal is to
create a pure 32 bit version for some testing we're doing. We ran into
some issues with LISTEN/NOTIFY (will be a separate topic), and wanted to
confirm or deny that the 64 bit version was the issue.

BTW, setarch i386 make built with no errors.

Thanks,
Doug