Re: Lower msvc build verbosity level

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Christian Ullrich <chris(at)chrullrich(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Lower msvc build verbosity level
Date: 2016-04-08 14:06:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 9:29 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 2:25 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
>>> could we perhaps lower the verbosity level of the msvc build (in
>>> src/tools/msvc/build.pl) from "detailed" to "normal"?

>> +1 for doing that. It seems easy enough to manually turn it on if it turns
>> out to be necessary to debug some specific issue in the future.

> Please, yes. The current output is too verbose.

+several. Grepping for compiler warnings, for example, is really painful
right now on any MSVC critter. I've resorted to grepping for "warning C",
which skips the noise messages, but I'm never sure if I'm missing
something.

(If anyone knows how to shut up clang's useless "N warnings generated"
messages, on longfin for example, I'd be for changing that too.)