Re: XID wraparound and busy databases

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: XID wraparound and busy databases
Date: 2007-08-16 12:44:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> > Maybe we can do something to reduce the xid consumption? For example,
> > reuse xids for read-only queries.
>
> Hmm, that's an idea.

That would be a very useful idea for additional scalability and it does
sound like a good idea.

We kicked around the idea of reusing snapshots previously also, as a way
of reducing access to the ProcArray. That idea had some problems, but if
your workload was all read-only and we reused xids then everybody would
have an identical snapshot, so reusing it would make lots of sense.

--
Simon Riggs