Re: [NOVICE] alter table table add column

From: Ronald Rojas <ronald(dot)rojas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] alter table table add column
Date: 2007-07-31 05:23:11
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-novice pgsql-sql

Hi,

Sorry for doing the multiple mailing list recipient. Yes I know that
procedure but I would like to insert in between because I have at third
party software that will call the said schema and one of its
dependencies with the mapping is it should have the correct order with
what the receiving end will be use for the mapping. And in this case, I
can't modify the receiving structure (third-party) and the tables that I
will be using is in on production state. So would only mean that I have
to schedule a very fast maintenance, probably 5 to 10 secs just to
re-initialize the tables.

Anyway, thanks for your input, really appreciate it.

On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 23:32 -0500, Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> [Please don't post the same question to many lists. Choose one. If
> you're unsure if it's the correct list for your question, ask if
> there's a more appropriate one. This question is find for -novice or -
> general. Thanks.]
>
> On Jul 30, 2007, at 23:19 , Ronald Rojas wrote:
>
> > And, I want to add the field name age with type integer after
> > lastname OR before the address field. How to I do that?
>
> Can't without dumping the database, altering the schema in the dump,
> and reloading. But why does it matter? Just call the columns in the
> order you want.
>
> Michael Glaesemann
> grzm seespotcode net

Ronald Rojas
Systems Administrator
Linux Registered User #427229

Arnold's Laws of Documentation:
(1) If it should exist, it doesn't.
(2) If it does exist, it's out of date.
(3) Only documentation for useless programs transcends the
first two laws.