Re: Updated bitmap index patch

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Gavin Sherry" <swm(at)alcove(dot)com(dot)au>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Updated bitmap index patch
Date: 2007-07-21 11:20:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 18:20 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > Due to unfinished VACUUM:
> >
> > This has been saved for the 8.4 release:
> >
> > http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgpatches_hold
>
> While we're at this, let's consider Heikki's patch for the streaming
> indexscan API stuff. That patch was supposed to come from the bitmap
> index patch, but it was also supposed to help the Grouped Index Tuples
> (GIT) patch.
>
> In fact, as far as I understood the discussion, GIT would be helped by
> the streaming indexscan API patch, because it would help de-uglify
> certain parts of that patch. It is my impression that we would not want
> to commit the ugly GIT patch; so it would mean that either we commit the
> streaming indexscan patch first, and a beautiful GIT patch shortly later,
> or we don't commit any of them.
>
> So, the question is: do we want the GIT patch in 8.3? If we do, then we
> need the streaming indexscan API patch. And thus we would need an
> updated (beautiful) GIT patch.
>
> Is there a resolution on this? Alexey Kluykin and I would be interested
> in helping review this set of patches, if it is decided that they are
> wanted for 8.3.
>
> I want to point out that the GIT patch is one of the things sitting in
> the reviewing queue from very early.

Alvaro,

As you note above there is some linkage between bit map indexes and
clustered indexes, so it seems like we'll either get both or neither.

I notice the GIT patch is being listed as under review by Alexey and
yourself. Are you actively working on this, or is anyone else planning
on working on this review?

I'd like to help where I can if nobody else is currently doing this. I
would focus initially on some analysis of the various use cases to give
a better view on what we would need B-tree, clustered indexes and bitmap
indexes to do for us.

--
Simon Riggs