Re: Proposal for new pgsqlODBC feature - hiding tables inaccessible to the current user

From: Mark Cave-Ayland <mark(dot)cave-ayland(at)ilande(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal for new pgsqlODBC feature - hiding tables inaccessible to the current user
Date: 2007-06-27 21:22:39
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 09:01 +0900, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:

> There are already so many options and I'm not eager to increase
> the options excessively. It's also pretty painful to add a check
> box etc in the setup dialog. Basically I want to use bits in the
> Extra Opts for boolean options herafter.

I can see that adding extra options can be a little difficult, but I'd
still like to see a simple tick box to toggle the option, purely because
it is a useful feature. Perhaps another way forward is that "Extra
Options" could be extended into a new dialog, and then the option added
there? If it were just an option for developers I wouldn't be too
worried, but there does appear to be user demand for this, and users
aren't the best at calculating bitmasks in hex ;)

> How about changing the default behavior of SQLTables to list only
> SELECTable tables and add a bit to Extra Opts to list inaccessible
> tables also ?

I think this would risk breaking a lot of existing applications. I'm not
worried that the extra tables are there normally, but there are
applications where they can be disabled to help less skilled users who
are often tasked with creating reports with other tools such as Excel.
I've already had people emailing offlist asking about when this feature
will become available in the official driver, and it would be a shame to
relegate such a useful feature to an obscure part of the driver.

Kind regards,

Mark.