Re: "WIP: Data at rest encryption" patch and, 2 phase commit.

From: Antonin Houska <ah(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Toshi Harada <harada(dot)toshi(at)po(dot)ntt-tx(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "WIP: Data at rest encryption" patch and, 2 phase commit.
Date: 2018-07-25 11:54:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Toshi Harada <harada(dot)toshi(at)po(dot)ntt-tx(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I applied the patch "WIP: Data at rest encryption" to PostgreSQL 11 - beta 2 and I'm working on it.
>
> When this patch is applied, the following problem occurs.
>
> * An error occurs when CHECKPOINT is executed during two-phase commit.
> * After an error occurs, if you stop PostgreSQL, it will never start again.
>
> (1) First, execute PREPARE TRANSACTION.
>
> postgres=# BEGIN;
> BEGIN
> postgres=# PREPARE TRANSACTION 'foo';
> PREPARE TRANSACTION
> postgres=#
>
> (2) Execute the CHECKPOINT command from another terminal.
> CHEKPOINT command fails.
>
> postgres=# CHECKPOINT;
> ERROR: checkpoint request failed
> HINT: Consult recent messages in the server log for details.
> postgres=#

The patch version I posted in

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/11678.1532519255%40localhost

fixes an issue (unitialized pointer) that caused failure here, but it was
SEGFAULT rather than ERROR. And the scope of the bug was broader than just
CHECKPOINT.

Can you please test it again with the new version of the patch?

Anyway, thanks for your reports!

--
Antonin Houska
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH