Re: Idea for getting rid of VACUUM FREEZE on cold pages

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Idea for getting rid of VACUUM FREEZE on cold pages
Date: 2010-06-08 22:35:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 18:03 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> OK, yes, I see what you're getting at now. There are two possible
>> ways to do freeze the tuples and keep the xmin: we can either rely on
>> the PD_ALL_VISIBLE page-level bit (as I previously proposed) or we can
>> additionally have a HEAP_XMIN_FROZEN bit as you propose here. I am
>> not sure which way is better.

> Doing it at tuple level is more flexible and allows more aggressive
> freezing. It also works better with existing tuple visibility code.

I agree, relying on a page-level bit (or field) is unpleasant in a
number of ways.

But none of this accomplishes a damn thing towards the original goal,
which was to avoid an extra disk write associated with freezing (not
to mention an extra write for setting the transaction-committed hint
bit). Setting a bit is no cheaper from that standpoint than changing
the xmin field.