Re: Replication

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Replication
Date: 2007-06-19 21:22:49
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 16:14 -0700, Craig James wrote:
> Looking for replication solutions, I find:
>
> Slony-I
> Seems good, single master only, master is a single point of failure,
> no good failover system for electing a new master or having a failed
> master rejoin the cluster. Slave databases are mostly for safety or
> for parallelizing queries for performance. Suffers from O(N^2)
> communications (N = cluster size).

There's MOVE SET which transfers the origin (master) from one node to
another without losing any committed transactions.

There's also FAILOVER, which can set a new origin even if the old origin
is completely gone, however you will lose the transactions that haven't
been replicated yet.

To have a new node join the cluster, you SUBSCRIBE SET, and you can MOVE
SET to it later if you want that to be the master.

Regards,
Jeff Davis