Re: problems installing postgre

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: j(dot)heinz(at)sz-sb(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problems installing postgre
Date: 2003-04-03 18:36:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Johannes Heinz <j(dot)heinz(at)sz-sb(dot)de> writes:
> I'm installing Verity K2 Dashboard (with postgre integrated) and get
> error messages during the postgre installation part:
> IpcMemoryCreate: shmget failed (Invalid argument) key=5432010, size=144,
> permission=700

It looks to me like you must not have SysV shared memory support enabled
at all. I have no idea where to turn that on in Solaris ... there is
some info in the PG Admin Guide, which may or may not help:
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/kernel-resources.html#SYSVIPC

Also, I'd suggest pestering Verity to adopt a more modern release of
Postgres. You appear to be running 7.0 or something even older.