Re: configure datatype name > 31?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Mark McEahern" <marklists(at)mceahern(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: configure datatype name > 31?
Date: 2002-05-13 18:16:29
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Mark McEahern" <marklists(at)mceahern(dot)com> writes:
> Tom, thanks for your reply. I am now able to create databases and users
> with longer names, but I am unable to login with the long username.

I think you're stuck on that, unless you want to be *really*
incompatible with the rest of the world. The startup packet format has
hard-wired field sizes --- see src/include/libpq/pqcomm.h:

#define SM_DATABASE 64
#define SM_USER 32
#define SM_OPTIONS 64
#define SM_UNUSED 64
#define SM_TTY 64

Don't ask me why SM_USER is different from the rest :-(

If you change these I'd strongly advise bumping the protocol minor
version number, so that you don't have weird behavior should you try
to interoperate with standard code.

This is another thing that should be on the list of stuff to fix when
we next change the FE/BE protocol ...