Re: Partitioning (was Re: Slightly OT.)

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Partitioning (was Re: Slightly OT.)
Date: 2007-06-04 20:52:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 22:13 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 06/01/07 19:29, Jeff Davis wrote:
> [snip]
> > You shouldn't use a volatile function in a check constraint. Use a
> > trigger instead, but even that is unlikely to work for enforcing
> > constraints correctly.
> >
> > In general, for partitioning, you have to make some sacrifices. It's
> > very challenging (and/or expensive) to ensure uniqueness across
> > partitions.
>
> Are partitioned databases the same as federated databases?

I think that usually people refer to a table that is split to be
partitioned (whether across servers or within a single server). I think
federated databases are where various parts of the database are split
across servers, but tables may be intact.

That's my own understanding of the terminology.

Regards,
Jeff Davis