Re: boolean <=> text explicit casts

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: boolean <=> text explicit casts
Date: 2007-05-30 19:40:17
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Wed, 2007-30-05 at 21:23 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I'm not sure what your rationale was for creating lower-case words
> instead of upper case, except for it looks nicer. Is there a technical
> reason?

There's no real technical reason: the standard says upper-case, but PG's
general philosophy of case folding would suggest folding to lower-case.
If we were compliant with the spec's case folding requirements then
emitting uppercase would be the clear choice, but since we aren't, I
don't have strong feelings either way.

-Neil