Re: Vacuum takes forever

From: Joost Kraaijeveld <J(dot)Kraaijeveld(at)Askesis(dot)nl>
To: PFC <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>
Cc: postgresql performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuum takes forever
Date: 2007-05-29 17:56:07
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 19:16 +0200, PFC wrote:

> > Could this be because of my Cost-Based Vacuum Delay settings ?
>
> Yeah. It is supposed to slow down VACUUM so it doesn't kill your server,
> but it is not aware of the load. It will also slow it down if there is no
> load. That is its purpose after all ;)
> If you want fast vacuum, issue SET vacuum_cost_delay = 0; before.
Thanks, I tried it and it worked. I did not know that changing this
setting would result in such a performance drop ( I just followed an
advise I read on http://www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList/) which
mentioned a tripling of the the execution time. Not a change from
8201819 ms to 17729 ms.

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld