optimisation for a table with frequently used query

From: danmcb <danielmcbrearty(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: optimisation for a table with frequently used query
Date: 2007-05-28 19:00:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I have a table that looks like this:

CREATE TABLE my_table {
id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
id_1 INTEGER REFERENCES tab1(id),
id_2 INTEGER REFERENCES tab2(id),
.
};

I will often be running queries that look like

SELECT * from my_table where id_1 = x and id_2 = y;

Neither id_1 or id_2 or the combination of them is unique. I expect
this table to become large over time.

What can I do to help postgres run this query efficiently (if
anything)?

Apologies if this is a "RTFM" question - I looked but did not find.
Could be I didn't look hard enough ...

thanks in advance

Daniel