Re: Searching data across tables, some large

From: Robert Fitzpatrick <lists(at)webtent(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Searching data across tables, some large
Date: 2007-05-24 00:57:43
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 19:48 -0400, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 18:53 -0400, Ericson Smith wrote:
> > Yeah, we've used Tsearch with joins and searches on other fields on
> > the tsearch table no problem. Tsearches are just another part of a
> > WHERE clause.
> >

> And can there be Tsearch fields built based on fields in different
> tables? Where can I find the best docs for TSearch2? I'm looking for
> information pertaining to how TSearch can help in my situation, instead
> of building a view with a lot of joins causing absurd amount of rows
> returned.

Of course, what was I thinking! After reading through the TSearch stuff
I see the objective is to index multiple columns. There would be no way
to reference a unique record from an index of columns over multiple
tables.

So, it is looking like a build of the query string is going to have to
take place on whichever tables the fields are in while limiting what
fields the user can search (depending whether fields are in different
tables), that versus a view with everything is what I should be doing?

--
Robert