Re: Async commands (like drop index)

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Async commands (like drop index)
Date: 2007-05-18 17:20:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2007-18-05 at 11:47 -0500, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> Assuming the concurrent psql stuff gets in, do you still see a use for
> this?

I think concurrent psql (and/or async libpq) is the right way to handle
this sort of requirement. "DROP INDEX NOWAIT" is hacky, and would be
difficult (impossible?) to implement in a reasonable manner: the backend
is fundamentally single-threaded. Also, how does the client learn when
the DROP INDEX actually finishes? The client would either need to poll
the database, or we'd need to implement something like select() --
neither is a very appealing alternative.

-1 from me: this functionality belongs on the client-side, where
asynchronous operations are much easier to manage.

-Neil