Re: Gentoo shared_buffers setting (was: BUG #3888: postmaster...)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Marti <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>
Cc: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Gentoo shared_buffers setting (was: BUG #3888: postmaster...)
Date: 2008-01-20 20:14:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Marti <marti(at)juffo(dot)org> writes:
> On 1/20/08, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> It's sort of irrelevant IMHO, as any useful setting is orders of
>> magnitude larger than that anyway.

> Gentoo defaults to launching PostgreSQL 8.2 with "-N 40 -B 80" which
> is how I hit this problem; this was set in a distro-specific
> configuration file which I previously hadn't even looked at. Does this
> mean that these defaults are insane and I should complain loudly?

Egad. Yes. Quite aside from whether the specific values are sane,
the launch script has utterly no business setting any such parameters
on the postmaster command line anyway --- it should be leaving them to
the configuration file. (initdb will normally put values that are at
least minimally sane into the config file. What do you see for
max_connections and shared_buffers in postgresql.conf?)