Re: Hash function for numeric (WIP)

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hash function for numeric (WIP)
Date: 2007-05-07 01:51:59
Lists: pgsql-patches

> You can do it always if you simply decrement the weight for each leading
> zero removed.

On reflection, the patch as given was wrong anyway: if two Numerics are
identical except for the presence of leading zeroes, we can't consider
the weight when hashing one of them but not the other.

> The patch as given is wrong since it makes the test for no-digits
> before instead of after removing zeroes.)

Okay, how about the attached revision?

> It'd be a good idea if you repeat the previous number-of-collisions
> experiment on this code.

I'll do this shortly.

-Neil

Attachment Content-Type Size
numeric_hash_func-7.patch text/x-patch 9.2 KB