Re: On columnar storage

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: On columnar storage
Date: 2015-06-14 17:38:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Another model that could be followed is expansion of inheritance-tree
> references, which happens early in the planner.

Actually ... if you intend to allow column storage to work with inherited
tables (and if you don't, you'd better have a darn good reason why not),
I think you probably want to do this join insertion *after* inheritance
expansion, so you can join child column stores only to the appropriate
child heap table, and not to the entire inheritance tree.