Re: reindexdb hangs

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: dx k9 <bitsandbytes88(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: reindexdb hangs
Date: 2007-05-02 15:31:59
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 09:50, dx k9 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What would cause or what should I do with a table that hangs during its
> reindexing? I can see in the messages the last table to reindex, so
> sequentially the next table must be the problem.
> I have statement_timeout set for 6 hours, then I get "canceling statement
> due to statement timeout" Ok, that's fine, and I don't think setting the
> statement_timeout to 0 will really help. The question is why did it hang or
> what are some reasons that would make a table hang a reindexing? And is
> there a solution?

The real question is did it hang? If the machine was still working on
reindexing then it wasn't hung, it was just taking longer than you
wanted it to. Which can also be a problem, but isn't the same thing as
hanging, and as it's a different problem, would have a different
solution than if it is hanging.

So, what does vmstat / top / iostat have to say about this "hang"? Was
it really hanging, or just taking a long time?