Re: reducing the footprint of ScanKeyword (was Re: Large writable variables)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: John Naylor <jcnaylor(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: reducing the footprint of ScanKeyword (was Re: Large writable variables)
Date: 2018-12-27 20:34:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 12/27/18 3:00 PM, John Naylor wrote:
>> This style was cargo-culted from the catalog scripts. I can settle on
>> just the first form if you like.

> I would rather we used the standard perl module Getopt::Long, as
> numerous programs we have already do.

Hmm ... grepping finds that used only in

src/tools/pgindent/pgindent
src/tools/git_changelog
src/pl/plperl/text2macro.pl

so I'm not quite sure about the "numerous" claim. Adopting that
here would possibly impose the requirement of having Getopt::Long
on some developers who are getting by without it today. However,
that's a pretty thin argument, and if Getopt::Long is present even
in the most minimal Perl installations then it's certainly moot.

On the whole I'm +1 for this. Perhaps also, as an independent patch,
we should change the catalog scripts to use Getopt::Long.